SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Let pie crusts stand at room temperature according to package directions. Meanwhile, core and slice unpeeled apples (you should have 8 cups). In a large mixing bowl combine apples with water and lemon juice; toss to coat.
2. For filling, in a large mixing bowl stir together 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and spice. Drain apples well; add to sugar mixture and toss gently to coat. Set aside.
3. Unfold one pie crust. Place on a lightly floured surface. Unfold the second crust and place on top of the first. Roll the two crusts together from center to edge into a 14-inch circle. Ease the pastry into a 9-inch pie plate, letting crust hang over the edge.
4. Spoon apple filling into the pastry-lined pie plate. Fold the pastry up and over the filling, pleating the pastry to fit. Brush crust with whipping cream or milk. Sprinkle the pie with coarse and/or granulated sugar. Cover the edge of the pie with foil to prevent overbrowning.
5. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 30 minutes more or until crust is golden. Cool slightly on a wire rack before serving. Serve pie while warm with whipped cream, if desired. Makes 6 to 8 servings.