You'll need to prepare the ice bowl a day or two in advance of your gathering. And be sure to set the bowl on a rimmed platter so melting can be controlled and contained.
Follow these easy instructions to make our icy serving dish.
- Bring about 2 quarts of water to room temperature.
- Place a layer of ice cubes in an 8-inch plastic or glass bowl. Nestle a 6-inch bowl inside. Use tape to secure the two bowls in four places, making sure the rims are level.
- Insert flowers, fresh herbs, or sliced fruit between the two bowls.
- Slowly fill the outer bowl with the water.
- Freeze at least 24 hours.
- Remove from freezer. Dip the outer bowl in warm water for a few seconds to loosen bowls.
- Stand ice bowl on a rimmed plate so melting water is contained. (TIP: Check the ice bowl frequently if the weather is hot or if your table would be damaged by water spillover.)