A Harvest Lunch Gathering
Get together with family and friends to savor the flavors, colors, and calm of autumn with our easygoing weekend lunch.
Caponata Be sure to bring the Caponata to room temperature before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld -- and that makes all the difference.
Fig and Fruit Salad You'll find fresh figs in your supermarket from June through October. It's best to use them as soon as possible after purchase as they're very perishable.
Butternut Squash Soup If any of your guests are vegetarians, they'll appreciate this meatless soup. In fact, with this soup, the salad, and the grilled vegetables, the menu provides a satisfying meal, even without the pork roast.
Rosemary and Garlic Smoked Pork Roast Be sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure the proper doneness of the pork. The meat's temperature will rise about 5 degrees F during standing.
Grilled Balsamic Vegetables The timing is just right! Cook the vegetables as soon as you take the roast off the grill. The pork needs to stand 10 minutes -- and that's about how long the veggies take to cook over the coals.
1 day before:
- Prepare Caponata; cover and chill.
- Apply herb rub to pork loin; cover and chill.
- Prepare Country Apple Tart; cover and let stand at room temperature.
- Toast baguette slices; store in an airtight container.
Two hours before:
- Soak wood chips for grilling, then start the grill and begin grilling pork loin.
30 minutes before:
- Set out Caponata.
- Prepare and assemble salads.
- Prepare ravioli for soup and reheat soup mixture.
10 minutes before:
- Remove pork from grill; while pork stands, grill vegetables.
Just before serving:
- Slice pork loin.