Day 7: Touch Up for the Party
A few things always have to be finished just before guests arrive. Use this smart strategy and a cleaning checklist to have your home shipshape in plenty of time for the party.
All of these tasks are intended to simply refresh the hard work you've already completed. To make the touch-ups go even faster, ask your family to help with these easy jobs.
Don't linger on these cleaning tasks. You've done the hard work ahead of time. Now the spaces just need a final polish.
- Use household cleaner and paper towels to give bathroom surfaces a quick shine. Pay attention to water spots and residue on the faucet and liquid soap dispenser. Hide toiletries and countertop clutter in an out-of-the-way spot.
- Clean bathroom mirrors. A sparkling mirror reflects the light and makes everything brighter.
- Use a damp towel to clean the bathroom floor.
- Apply toilet bowl cleaner, and give the toilets a quick brushing.
- Hang fresh hand towels in the bathrooms. Put out fresh hand soap or fill the liquid soap dispensers.
- Vacuum the carpets and use a dust mop on hard-surface floors in your living spaces.
- Fluff sofa cushions and pillows. Straighten stacks of magazines or books. Fold or arrange throws. Make sure tabletops are clear of clutter and dust-free.
- Damp-mop the kitchen floor.
- Polish kitchen counters, faucets, and sinks with household cleaner and paper towels.
- Empty the trash from the containers throughout the house. Wipe off the outsides of your trash receptacles. Insert clean liners. This simple detail makes the kitchen and all your guest spaces feel fresher.
- Set up your party area. Arrange fresh flowers. Light candles. Turn on music. Set up your food and beverage stations. Finish food preparation.
Don't let cleaning eat up your party preparation time. It needn't be the thing that fills your days. Use these hints and tips for cleaning to develop a plan that leaves you relaxed and confident with a home that shines.
Editor's Tip: When suddenly guests are expected in an hour or two, don't panic. Use our 1-Hour Quick-Clean Checklist, available below, to help you get your house ready fast.