- 1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh tarragon or 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon, crushed
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine water and yeast. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or till softened.
2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat and stir the milk, shortening, sugar and salt till the shortening is almost melted (120 to 130 degrees F.).
3. Transfer the milk mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in 2 cups of the flour; beat well by hand. Add the yeast mixture; stir till smooth.
4. Add mashed potatoes to the mixture along wit h the eggs and the tarragon; beat till well combined. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
5. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough that's smooth and elastic (about 8 to 10 minutes). Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place till doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).
7. Punch dough down. Shape into about forty 1 1/2-inch balls. Arrange in prepared pans. Cover and let rise till nearly doubled (about 30 to 40 minutes).
8. Bake in a 375 degrees F. oven for 15 to 18 minutes or till the rolls are golden. Remove from the oven; brush the tops with butter. Makes 40 rolls.