Cake mix is jazzed up with extra flavor (orange) and fewer calories (less oil).
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pkg. 2-layer-size devil's food cake mix
- 8-oz. carton low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 recipe Chocolate Icing*
- 1 recipe Orange Icing**
2. In a large mixer bowl combine cake mix, yogurt, orange peel, orange juice, egg, egg whites, cooking oil, cinnamon, and water. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 4 minutes. Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
3. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes in a fluted pan or 35 to 40 minutes for a 13x9x2-inch pan or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove cake from tube pan, if using; cool completely. (If cake is to be served up to four months from baking day, set unfrosted cake on a flat plate; freeze. Wrap in freezer wrap or seal in freezer bags. Thaw cake before frosting.) Drizzle icings over cake. Makes 12 servings.
*Chocolate Icing: In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons orange juice, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in additional orange juice until of drizzling consistency. Makes about 2 tablespoons.
**Orange Icing: In another small bowl combine 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon orange juice, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in additional orange juice until of drizzling consistency. Makes about 2 tablespoons.
Nutrition facts per serving: 267 cal., 8 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 36 mg chol., 428 mg sodium, 46 g carbo., 4 g pro.