How to Store Fresh Basil
Fresh basil adds a delightful spark of freshness to all it touches. Here's how to get the most from this flavor powerhouse.
Upload your photo here.
Step 1: Pick the type of basil
Basil is available in an array of flavors. Here are some popular varieties:
- Thai basil: Also called anise basil, this small-leaf variety boasts a strong licorice flavor.
- Genovese basil: This type of sweet basil has a vibrant clove flavor and crinkled, curled leaves.
- Purple basil: Pungent and licoricelike, this basil possesses glossy, burgundy leaves.
- Lemon basil: This specialty basil has a savory lemon flavor and is characterized by its flat, narrow leaves.
- Cinnamon basil: With its strong cinnamon scent, this basil is easily distinguished from other basil varieties.
For a great way to have the flavor of fresh basil on hand anytime you need it, make the basil into pesto and freeze it in an ice cube tray.