Can I Make Homemade Mac and Cheese Without an Oven?
If your oven is too full to host your mac and cheese, try our simple recipe that can be made on the stove.
It's easy to make homemade mac and cheese without an oven! Make homemade macaroni and cheese with this simple stovetop recipe:
Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 ounces dried elbow macaroni or desired-shape pasta (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 12-ounce package sliced reduced-fat process American cheese product, torn
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, for cheese sauce, in a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Stir macaroni into cheese sauce in saucepan, stirring to coat. Cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 4 servings.