Vinegar adds zip to salads, marinades, sauces, and more. Sample these types to find your favorites.
- Apple cider vinegar: Made from fermented apple cider, it has a strong bite with a faint apple flavor.
- Distilled white vinegar: Made from distilled grain alcohol, it is strong and sour.
- Wine vinegars: Made from red or white wine, champagne, or sherry, wine vinegars derive flavor from the type of wine used.
- Malt vinegar: Made from malted barley, it has a faint malt flavor.
- Balsamic vinegar: Made from white Trebbiano grape juice, it's aged for at least 10 years, giving it a distinctive dark brown color, syrupy body, and slight sweetness.
- Rice vinegar: Made from rice wine or sake, it has a subtly sweet taste and mild tang.
- Flavored vinegars: Made by steeping herbs, fruits, or hot peppers in vinegar, the vinegars take on the flavors of these ingredients.