These tangy sauces guarantee to
tantalize your taste buds.
- Coconut Milk: A rich-tasting, creamy, white liquid made from the white flesh of the coconut. Coconut milk comes canned in both sweetened and unsweetened varieties. Shake before using.
- Chili Oil: An oil, flavored with chili peppers, that is used as a seasoning. It adds hotness to dishes.
- Chili Paste: A fiery condiment made with chili peppers, vinegar, and seasonings. Chili past varies according to the country of its origin. If desired, Oriental chili sauce may be used as a substitute.
- Curry Paste: A combination of herbs and spices ground into a smooth paste. The paste comes in three colors. Red curry paste contains dried red chili peppers, green contains fresh green chilies, and yellow contains turmeric. The flavor varies; yellow paste is the mildest and green the hottest.
- Fish Sauce: A brownish liquid made from salted fish. Its bold, salty fish flavor is used to season foods during cooking and at the table. The clearer and lighter in color the liquid, the more flavorful and better quality the fish sauce will be.
- Hoisin Sauce: A thick, reddish-brown sauce made from soybeans, salt, sugar, garlic, flour, vinegar, and spices. It has a sweet and piquant flavor, and may be used in cooking or as a condiment.
- Mirin: A sweet, syrupy rice wine used mainly in glazes and dipping sauces. Some mirin contains salt and should be used only for cooking. If desired, substitute dry sherry.