How to Cook an Egg in the Microwave
Breakfast on the fly can include a freshly cooked egg. You can poach or scramble an egg in less than a minute in your microwave.
While a poached or scrambled egg prepared in the microwave may have a slightly different texture than one cooked by the traditional stove-top method, the speed and simplicity of microwave cooking makes this a likable option -- especially for kids in the kitchen, busy mornings, office lunches, or no-hassle dinners.
How to Poach an Egg in the Microwave
- In a small microwave-safe dish, such as a custard cup, combine 1/3 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon vinegar, and a pinch of salt.
- Gently crack one large egg into the water mixture and cover the dish with plastic wrap, a lid, or a small plate.
- Place the covered dish in a microwave oven. Microwave it on 80 percent power for 50 to 55 seconds or until the yolk looks round and set on the outside and the white is almost set yet still a little translucent. (As the egg cooks, you will see the white start to solidify and turn white over the round yolk.) Keep in mind that microwave ovens cook differently, so timings are approximate. Carefully remove the dish from the microwave oven.
- If desired, let the egg sit in the water for 1 minute to let the white firm up a bit more. Uncover the dish. If the egg white still looks too translucent, you may want to cook the egg for an additional 30 seconds. Using a spoon, lift the egg from the cooking liquid, tipping the spoon just enough to drain excess liquid from the egg. If desired, season to taste with ground black pepper and additional salt.
Tip: You can microwave the egg on 100 percent power (high) instead of 80 percent power for 50 seconds. Because the egg yolk cooks faster than the white, it may be more solid before the white is cooked.
How to Scramble an Egg in the Microwave
1. In a small microwave-safe dish, such as a custard cup, whisk one large egg with a fork. Add 1 tablespoon milk or water and a pinch of salt. Whisk with the fork until thoroughly combined.
Place the dish in the microwave oven. Microwave, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) for 30 seconds. With a fork, stir the egg. Microwave for 10 seconds more and stir again. If desired, stir in a spoonful of shredded cheese or a sprinkling of chopped green onion, snipped fresh basil, chopped tomato, or chopped roasted red sweet pepper. Microwave for 5 to 10 seconds more or until fluffy and still shiny with no loose liquid in the dish. If desired, season to taste with ground black pepper.