Ultraversatile cabbage can be boiled, steamed, sauteed, or cooked in the microwave oven. It makes a nutritious side dish or meatless entree. Learn how to core and cut cabbage, plus four ways to cook it.
Remove the loose outer leaves and rinse the head of cabbage with water.
Use the knife to remove the core from the wedges.
To Boil Cabbage
1. In a saucepan, bring a small amount of water to boiling. Add cabbage.
2. Cook uncovered for 2 minutes. This allows some of the strong-smelling hydrogen sulfite gas that is emitted during cooking to dissipate.
3. Cover the saucepan and continue to cook until crisp-tender (plan on 6 to 8 minutes for wedges and 3 to 5 minutes for chopped). Drain well.
To Steam Cabbage
1. Cabbage wedges are recommended for this method. Insert a steamer basket inside a saucepan. Add enough water to the pan so the water level is just below the bottom of the basket.
2. Bring water to boiling. Add cabbage wedges to steamer basket.
3. Cover and steam for 10 to 12 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender.
To Saute Cabbage
1. Chopped cabbage is recommended for this method. For 6 cups chopped cabbage, in a large skillet heat 2 to 3 tablespoons cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped cabbage.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir cabbage for 4 to 6 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender.
To Cook Cabbage in the Microwave
1. Place cabbage in a microwave-safe bowl along with 2 tablespoons water. Cover with waxed paper, vented plastic wrap, or a microwave-safe lid.
2. Microwave, covered, on 100 percent power (high) until crisp-tender, rearranging or stirring once. Plan for 9 to 11 minutes for cabbage wedges and 4 to 6 minutes for chopped cabbage.
Our Favorite Cabbage Recipes