Cutting Thin Strips and Slivers
Slice perfect vegetable strips.
Make sure to slice thin slivers.
- To cut vegetables into julienne strips, use a cleaver or chef's knife to slice the food into pieces about 2 inches long and about 1/4 inch thick.
- Stack the slices and cut them lengthwise again into strips about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- To sliver green onion, garlic, or gingerroot, use a cleaver or chef's knife to cut the food into 2-inch or shorter lengths.
- Halve each section lengthwise or cut lengthwise into thin slices about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut each half or slice lengthwise into thin slivers about 1/8 inch thick.