How to Stuff Sweet Peppers
Step 1: Prepare filling
In a large saucepan cook 1/2 cup chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in two 14-1/2-ounce cans chicken broth. Bring to boiling; add 1-1/2 cups uncooked rice, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/8 teaspoon paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered, about 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and stir in one 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained; one 11-ounce can whole kernel corn; and, if desired, 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro.
Step 2: Stuff peppers and bake
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice tops from 8 small (or 4 large) sweet peppers; remove and discard seeds. In a 3-quart rectangular baking dish, arrange peppers in a single layer. Spoon rice mixture into peppers. If desired, place pepper tops on filling. Bake, covered, about 30 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender and rice mixture is heated through. For more tender peppers, increase the baking time to 40 to 45 minutes.
How to Grill Sweet Peppers
- Wash peppers. Brush whole peppers with olive oil.
- For a charcoal grill, place peppers on the grill rack directly over medium coals. For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place peppers on grill rack over heat.
- Grill (uncovered on a charcoal grill; covered on a gas grill) for 25 to 30 minutes or until skins are charred and peppers are tender, turning often to evenly char the skins.
- Remove peppers from grill and wrap in foil.
- Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Prepare according to recipe.
How to Roast Sweet Peppers
- Wash peppers and halve lengthwise.
- Remove stems, seeds, and membranes.
- Place pepper halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Bring foil up around peppers to enclose.
- Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool.
- Use a sharp knife to loosen edges of the skins; gently pull off the skins in strips and discard.
How to Cook Sweet Peppers in the Microwave
- Wash peppers and remove stems, seeds, and membranes.
- Cut peppers into rings or strips (1 medium bell pepper equals 1 cup) make about 2-1/2 cups).
- Place peppers in a casserole dish with 2 tablespoons water.
- Microwave, covered, on 100 percent power (high) for 2 minutes per cup of peppers or until crisp-tender, stirring once.