How to Cook Carrots
When cooked, fresh carrots lend a sweet, slightly tangy flavor to dishes. They're also delicious raw. Here's how to prepare fresh carrots.
Upload your photo here.
How to Prepare Carrots
- Work with 1 pound of fresh carrots at a time.
- Wash, trim, and peel or scrub, if necessary.
- Cut standard-size carrots into 1/4-inch-thick slices or into strips (1 pound makes about 2-1/2 cups slices or strips).
Note: You can use purchased peeled baby carrots as well. In that case, measure 3-1/2 cups baby carrots and follow the steps below.
How to Cook Carrots on the Stove
Cook 1 pound carrots, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water until crisp-tender:
How to Cook Carrots in the Microwave
- Place 1 pound carrots in a casserole dish with 2 tablespoons water.
- Microwave, covered, on 100 percent power (high) until crisp-tender, stirring once:
-- 6 to 9 minutes for 1/4-inch slices
-- 5 to 7 minutes for strips
-- 7 to 9 minutes for baby carrots
How to Steam Carrots
In a steamer cook 1 pound carrots until crisp-tender:
How to Roast Carrots
- Cut 1 pound carrots into 1-inch pieces. Arrange cut carrots or baby carrots in a baking pan.
- Toss carrots with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and other seasonings, if desired.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil; stir carrots.
- Bake, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes more or until carrots are tender.