How to Prevent Cookies from Spreading Too Much
Are your cookies getting ooey-gooey and spreading out too much in the oven? Here's how to avoid thinness and over-crowding when you bake cookies.
How to Prevent Cookies from Spreading
Several factors could be causing your cookies to spread:
• Using too much grease on the cookie sheet. Grease sheets lightly or use parchment paper instead.
• Using warm cookie sheets. Be sure to cool sheets to room temperature between batches.
• Substituting butter in cookie recipes that call for shortening. Try half butter and half shortening to achieve a better result.
• Making cookies too big. Try making smaller-size cookies.
• Using warm cookie dough. Refrigerate -- or even freeze -- dough balls before baking.