Party Drink Supply List
Before your party, decide what mixed drinks you'd like to serve, and make a list of the supplies you will need.
Our checklist for essential party drinks:
- Liquor: Choose spirits your guests will love, or base your liquor list off of your favorite alcoholic drink recipes. If you're unsure what mixed drinks to serve, buy a few basics: whiskey, Scotch, gin, vodka, tequila, rum, or vermouth.
- Mixers: Mixers are an essential part of most cocktails. Some basic mixers include carbonated water, tonic water, lemon-lime seltzer, and ginger ale.
- Garnishes: Top off mixed drinks with garnishes. Maraschino cherries, olives, lemon peels, and lime and lemon wedges are popular drink garnishes.
- Ice: To keep your cocktails cool and refreshing, have about a pound of cubes per person, and more for warm-weather parties.
- Bar glasses: You don't need a huge selection of glassware. Ten- or 12-ounce all-purpose glasses will work for nearly every alcoholic drink.
- Various bar tools: Be sure to have a few essential bar tools handy, like a bottle opener, corkscrew, cocktail napkins, small towel, sponge, and wastebasket. You may also want to have a blender nearby to make frozen drinks, like blended margaritas or daiquiris.
Easy Mixed-Drink Recipes
For delicious drinks in a snap, refer to this list of alcoholic drink recipes. Print your favorites to keep by the bar during your party.
- Bloody Mary: In a cocktail shaker combine ice cubes, 1/3 cup chilled tomato juice, 3 tablespoons vodka, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, dash Worcestershire sauce, dash celery salt, and dash black pepper or bottled hot pepper sauce. Shake well to mix. Pour into a chilled glass; add ice cubes, if desired. Garnish with a celery stalk. Makes 1 serving. (Note: You may prefer to make Bloody Marys ahead and chill for flavors to blend. Stir before serving.)
- Tom Collins: In a tall glass stir together 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar or simple syrup. Stir in 3 tablespoons gin, vodka, or light rum. Add ice cubes. Pour 3/4 cup chilled carbonated water down the side of the glass. Garnish with an orange slice and a maraschino cherry. Makes 1 serving.
- Frozen Daiquiris: In a blender combine one 6-ounce can frozen limeade or lemonade concentrate and 2/3 cup rum. Cover and blend until smooth. With blender running, add 2-1/2 to 3 cups ice cubes, one at a time, through opening in lid. Blend until slushy. Makes 6 (about 4-ounce) servings. Also check out our recipes for peach daiquiris and strawberry daiquiris.
- Gimlet: In a cocktail shaker combine ice cubes, 3 tablespoons gin or vodka, and 1 tablespoon bottled sweetened lime juice. Shake well to mix. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Makes 1 serving.
- Gin and Tonic: Place ice cubes in a glass. Add 1/4 cup gin. Pour 1/2 cup chilled tonic water (quinine water) down the side. Squeeze a lime wedge into glass; stir gently. Add wedge to drink. Makes 1 serving.
- Manhattan: In a cocktail shaker combine cracked ice, 3 tablespoons blended whiskey, 1 tablespoon sweet vermouth, and dash aromatic bitters. Shake well to mix. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry. Makes 1 serving.
- Margarita: In a cocktail shaker combine ice cubes, 3 tablespoons tequila, 2 tablespoons orange liqueur, and 2 tablespoons lime juice. Shake well to mix. For a salt-rimmed glass, rub the rim of a chilled cocktail glass with a lime wedge; invert into a dish of coarse salt. Strain drink into glass. Makes 1 serving.
- Martini: For a classic martini, in a cocktail shaker combine cracked ice, 1/4 cup gin, and 1 tablespoon dry vermouth. Shake well to mix. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a green olive or a lemon twist. Makes 1 serving.
- Old-Fashioned: Pour 1 tablespoon simple syrup into an old-fashioned glass. Stir in dash aromatic bitters. Add ice cubes and 3 tablespoons bourbon, brandy, Scotch whisky, or Southern Comfort. Pour in 3 tablespoons chilled carbonated water; stir gently to mix. Garnish with an orange twist and a maraschino cherry on a skewer. Makes 1 serving.
- Screwdriver: Place 3 or 4 ice cubes in a tall glass. Add 3 tablespoons vodka and, if desired, 1 tablespoon orange liqueur. Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup orange juice to fill the glass; stir to mix. Makes 1 serving.
- Whiskey Sour: In a cocktail shaker combine cracked ice, 3 tablespoons bourbon or blended whiskey, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons simple syrup. Shake well to mix. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. If desired, add cracked ice. Garnish with an orange twist and a maraschino cherry on a skewer. Makes 1 serving.
Our Best Drink Recipes and Party Tips
Our low-calorie mixed drinks pack plenty of flavor, and you won't miss the extra calories! Pictured here is The Porcupine, a four-ingredient white wine cocktail.
Get the Recipe!
Make Low-Calorie Cocktails
Easy Cocktail Party Ideas
Delicious Cocktail Classics to Try
What's Your Dream Dessert? Find Out!