continue reading below
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 Candied Orange Slices, chopped (about 3/4 cup) (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Lightly grease and flour a 9 x 1 1/2-inch round baking pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, oil, butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Stir in chopped Candied Orange Slices. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove and cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Cool completely.
- Place cake on a serving plate. Arrange Candied Orange Slices on top of cake. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the orange syrup. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- Candied Orange Slices: Trim ends from 3 navel oranges; slice into 1/4 inch thick slices. In a large saucepan combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boiling; add orange slices. Return to boiling. Reduce heat to medium and boil gently, uncovered, for 12 minutes, gently stirring orange slices into syrup occasionally. Remove from heat. Preheat oven to 200 degree F. Line a very large baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove orange slices from syrup using tongs or a fork, reserving syrup. Arrange orange slices on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour or until oranges are translucent and candied, but still soft. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheet. Store in an airtight container. Transfer syrup to a small bowl and chill until needed.
- Note: You may also order candied orange slices from: www.ultimatenut.com (See Australian Glace Fruit). Makes 8 to 10 servings
Nutrition Facts per serving: 285 cal., 8 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 36 mg chol., 223 mg sodium, 51 g carbo., 2 g dietary fiber, 4 g protein. Daily Values: 6% vit. A, 44% vit. C, 11% calcium, 6% iron.