Looking for ways to use up some of the turkey leftovers? Try this hearty meal-in-a-dish.
- Nonstick spray coating
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 10-3/4-ounce can reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 16-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots (about 4 cups), thawed
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
1. Spray a 2-quart round casserole with nonstick coating. Place cream cheese in the casserole; stir in the milk. Stir in the soup till well-blended, then add the thawed vegetables, cooked turkey or chicken, uncooked rice, half of the Parmesan cheese, the pepper, and, if desired, the garlic powder.
2. Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 minutes. Stir. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese and the wheat germ. Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes more or till heated through and rice is tender. Makes 6 main dish servings.
Nutrition facts per serving: 367 calories, 17 g total fat (8 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 566 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Daily Values: 55% vitamin A, 5% vitamin C, 17% calcium, 13% iron.