- Preheat broiler. Trim ends off zucchini. Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Lightly coat both sides of zucchini slices with cooking spray; place half of the slices in a single layer on a wire rack set on a large baking sheet. Broil about 6 inches from the heat for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once halfway through broiling. Repeat with remaining zucchini slices. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef, mushrooms, and garlic until meat is browned, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain. Remove from heat. Stir pasta sauce, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, and fennel seeds into mixture in skillet. In a small bowl combine egg and ricotta cheese.
- To assemble lasagna, spread 1 cup of the sauce mixture on the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Top with enough of the zucchini slices to cover the sauce mixture. Dollop half of the ricotta mixture on top of the zucchini; use a spoon to lightly spread ricotta mixture over zucchini. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese on top. Top with half of the remaining sauce mixture. Repeat layers once more, ending with sauce mixture.
- Bake in the 375 degrees F oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until cheese has melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Typical Lasagna: 1920 calories, 64 g fat (Maggiano's Little Italy)
Nutrition Facts (Zucchini-Noodle Lasagna)
- Per serving:
- 209 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 58 mg chol.,
- 565 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Lyndsey Gangel 229 Days Ago
This was delicious! However, the proportions for ingredients are completely off. For a 9x13 pan, you need a significantly larger amount of ricotta cheese mixture, as well as zucchini slices (my slices end up being a little thicker since I find it nearly impossible to effectively cut them to 1/4 inch!). So I would recommend using 22 oz ricotta cheese and 2 eggs, and upping the zucchini to 4 large or 5 medium. The zucchini is really the meat of this, even though there is plenty of ground beef in the sauce!!!
Anna Nahajewski 671 Days Ago
5 WW PP pet serving