- Makes: 8 servings
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Prep: 25 mins
- Slow Cook: 5 hrs to 5 hrs 30 mins (low)
- Stand: 15 mins
tablespoons olive oil
medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
cups bite-size Italian flatbread with garlic (focaccia) cubes
cups shredded Fontina cheese (5 ounces)
cup grated Parmesan cheese
tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
eggs, lightly beaten
teaspoon ground black pepper
Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- Line a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook zucchini in hot oil until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly.
- Stir bread cubes, Fontina cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and thyme into zucchini. Spoon mixture into the prepared cooker. In the same bowl combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture in cooker. Using the back of a large spoon, press lightly to moisten bread completely.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 5 1/2 hours or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn off cooker. Let stand, covered, for 15 to 30 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme sprigs and/or additional ground black pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
The dry ingredients and wet ingredients can be prepped ahead of time and refrigerated separately for up to 24 hours. On serving day, pour the egg mixture over bread mixture. Continue as directed in Step 3.
Nutrition Facts (Zucchini-Fontina Strata)
- Per serving:
- 319 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 173 mg chol.,
- 781 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 17 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet