- Makes: 6 servings
- Yields: 9-1/3 cups
- Prep: 10 mins
- Slow Cook: 7 hrs to 8 hrs on low-heat setting plus 20 to 30 minutes on high-heat setting or 3 hours 50 minutes to 4 hours, 20 minutes on high-heat setting
Zesty Bean Posole
15 ounce cans golden hominy, rinsed and drained
15 ounce cans red beans, rinsed and drained
cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
16 ounce jar thick and chunky medium salsa (1 2/3 cups)
teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
cup whipping cream, half-and-half
Slivered or sliced green onions
Shredded cheese (optional)
- In a 4-quart slow cooker combine hominy, beans, broth, salsa, and oregano. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
- With 30 minutes of cook time remaining, increase to high-heat setting if necessary. In a small bowl stir together cream and flour until smooth; stir into mixture in cooker. Cover; cook for 30 minutes more or until mixture is slightly thickened.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with green onions and shredded cheese, if desired.
Nutrition Facts (Zesty Bean Posole)
- Per serving:
- 278 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 27 mg chol.,
- 1363 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 11 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet