Yellow Tomato Braised Beans
- Grate the cut side of each tomato quarter on the large holes of a box grater into a pie plate or shallow dish. Discard tomato skins. Stir 1 teaspoon salt and sugar into tomato pulp. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato mixture and beans. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in thyme and lemon juice. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until the beans are tender and the tomato mixture thickens slightly and coats the beans. Stir in the butter. Season with pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From the Test Kitchen
Braised Beans and Tuna in Yellow Tomato Sauce
If desired, drain 2, 5-ounce cans solid white tuna packed in oil. Break tuna into chunks and fold into the green bean mixture just before serving.
Test Kitchen Tip
Store unwashed green beans in a resealable bag. Refrigerate up to a week.
Nutrition Facts (Yellow Tomato Braised Beans)
- Per serving:
- 105 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 10 mg chol.,
- 445 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Jennifer Brush 665 Days Ago
i hate tomatoes but love this recipe. completely delicious.