package active dry yeast
cup butter or margarine
cup diced candied citron
cup sifted powdered sugar
Green-and yellow-colored sugar
- In a large mixer bowl combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour and yeast. In a saucepan heat milk, sugar, butter or margarine, and salt until warm (115 degree F to 120 degree F) and butter or margarine is almost melted, stirring constantly.
- Add heated mixture to flour mixture. Add eggs, Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl. Beat 3 minutes on high speed. Stir in citron. Using a spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl. Turn once to grease surface. Cover. Let rise in a warm place until double (1-1/2 to 2 hours). Punch dough down. Cover. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Press the pecan into the dough. Shape dough into a 30-inch-long roll. Join ends to form a ring about 10 inches in diameter. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until almost double (about 1 hour).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. If necessary, cover loosely with foil after 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a rack.
- In a small bowl beat together powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make a thin frosting. Spoon the frosting over cooled cake. Sprinkle the colored sugar in 2-inch rows, spoke fashion, alternating colors around the top of the cake. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Kings Cake)
- Per serving:
- 137 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 32 mg chol.,
- 83 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet