Almond Breakfast Bread
- In a small mixing bowl soften yeast in warm water; set aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, the 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt, and the 1/2 teaspoon cardamom or nutmeg. Cut in the cold butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the softened yeast, eggs, milk, and almond extract until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- For filling, stir together ground almonds, the 3 tablespoons brown sugar, granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom or allspice; set aside.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 3 portions. Shape each portion into a ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Gently roll out each portion of dough to a 10-inch circle. Place 1 circle on a 12-inch pizza pan or a large baking sheet lined with greased foil. Brush with half of the melted butter; sprinkle with half of the filling. Cover with another circle of dough. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining filling. Top with the last dough circle.
- With kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut the stack of dough into 12 wedges, cutting to within 1 inch of the center. Carefully lift each wedge and turn over twice to create a twist in each piece. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours before baking.
- Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before baking. If desired, brush with milk; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Cool slightly on foil on a wire rack. Serve warm. To serve, transfer bread to a serving platter; cut into wedges. Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Almond Breakfast Bread)
- Per serving:
- 284 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 63 mg chol.,
- 219 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet