Zesty Orange Cinnamon Rolls
- In a covered small saucepan, cook potato in a small amount of boiling, lightly salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain, reserving cooking liquid. Mash potato with potato masher; measure 1/2 cup (discard any remaining potato). Measure 1 cup reserved cooking liquid (discard remaining liquid); cool to 120 degrees F to 130 degrees F (about 15 minutes).
- Stir yeast into the 1/4 cup warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine potato water, mashed potato, the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the 1/3 cup butter, egg, and salt. Stir in the yeast mixture.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds. Add 2 cups of the flour; beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (about 1-1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- For 12 jumbo rolls, lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan or two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside. (To make 24 smaller rolls, see tip, below.) Roll dough to a 14x8-inch rectangle. Spread the 1/2 cup softened butter over the dough.
- Combine the 2/3 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Starting from a long side, roll up the rectangle into a spiral. Seal seam and slice into 12 equal pieces.
- Place rolls in the prepared pan(s) with cut side down. Cover and let rolls rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Bake rolls in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly; remove from pan(s).
- For orange icing, in a small bowl stir together 1 cup of the powdered sugar, orange peel, orange juice, and vanilla. Stir in additional orange juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the icing reaches drizzling consistency.
- For almond icing, in a small bowl, stir together remaining 1 cup powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract. Stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until icing reaches drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle rolls with orange icing, then with almond icing. Serve warm, if desired. Makes 12 jumbo rolls or 24 smaller rolls.
- Nutrition facts are for one jumbo roll.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 24 rolls, divide dough in half after rising. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Lightly grease three 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside. Roll each portion of dough to a 12x8-inch rectangle. Spread the 1/2 cup softened butter evenly over both portions. Sprinkle portions evenly with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Roll up; cut each portion into 12 pieces. Place rolls, cut side down, in prepared pans (eight in each pan). Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes). Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Prepare orange icing and almond icing. Drizzle over the warm rolls.
5 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
Nutrition Facts(Zesty Orange Cinnamon Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 462 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 54 mg chol.,
- 436 mg sodium,
- 77 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet