Whole Wheat Challah
Serving this rich yeast bread is a Hanukkah tradition. Shape the dough into a Star of David or a braid for a classic look.
- Makes: 16 servings
- Yields: 1 loaf
- Prep: 40 mins
- Rise: 1 hr 30 mins to 2 hrs 15 mins
- Bake: 25 mins to 30 mins 350°F
Whole Wheat Challah
cups all-purpose four
active dry yeast
cup warm water (120 degrees to 130 degrees F)
cup vegetable oil
teaspoons sesame or poppy seed
- In a large mixer bowl combine 1 cup of the all-purpose flour and the yeast. Stir together warm water, the honey, oil, and salt; add to mixer bowl along with egg and egg yolk. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides with spatula.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in all of the whole wheat flour and as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
- On a lightly floured surface knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough (6 to 8 minutes). Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let dough rise in a warm place until double (1 to 1 1/4 hours).
- Punch dough down. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Remove and reserve about 1 cup dough; cover and set aside. Divide remaining dough in half. On a lightly floured surface roll each half into a 30-inch-long rope. On a greased baking sheet, shape one rope into a triangle, joining ends about one-third of the way down on one side. Join one end of the second rope to the triangle about one-third of the way down, on the opposite side from where you joined the ends of the first rope. Form a star by weaving the second rope alternately over and under the first dough triangle. Press ends of dough tightly to seal.
- Divide reserved dough into 6 pieces. Roll each into an 8-inch-long rope, about 1/4 inch in diameter. Cut each rope in half and, with the 2 halves, form an X over each place where the triangles overlap. Tuck ends of short ropes under the bread to secure.
- To help the bread retain its star shape, make six 1-inch triangular pieces of foil. Push foil into the holes that form the star points.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (30 to 60 minutes). Mix together the remaining egg white and 1 tablespoon water; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seed.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Cover with foil during the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning, if necessary. Cool on rack. Makes 1 loaf (16 servings).
Nutrition Facts (Whole Wheat Challah)
- Per serving:
- 143 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 27 mg chol.,
- 119 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet