Soft Whole Wheat Pretzels
- Add milk, oil, whole wheat and bread flours, sugar, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and yeast to the bread machine pan according to manufacturer's direction for a 1-pound loaf. Select dough cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough and punch down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 10x6-inch rectangle; cut into twelve 10x1/2-inch strips. Gently pull each strip into a rope about 14 inches long. Cross one end of the pretzel strip over the other to form a circle, overlapping about 4 inches from each end. Take one end of dough in each hand and twist once where the dough overlaps. Lift each end across to the edge of the circle opposite it. Moisten and press to seal.
- Place 1/2 inch apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake in a 475 degree F oven for 4 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degree F.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the 2 teaspoons salt in boiling water. Reduce heat. Gently slide pretzels, a few at a time, into simmering water. Simmer for 2 minutes, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on wire rack. Place 1/2 inch apart on well-greased cookie sheets.
- Combine egg white and the 1 tablespoon water. Brush pretzels with a little of the egg-white mixture. Sprinkle lightly with sesame seed and/or poppy seed. Bake in the 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 12.
Nutrition Facts (Soft Whole Wheat Pretzels)
- Per serving:
- 104 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 mg chol.,
- 498 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet