For an appetizer, toast slices of this cheesy yeast bread then top with chopped tomato or olives.
- Makes: 40 servings
- Yields: 2 loaves
- Prep: 40 mins
- Rise: 1 hr 45 mins
- Bake: 40 mins 375°F
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the yeast, pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Add the 2 cups warm water. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (1 to 1-1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a baking sheet; sprinkle with cornmeal. Roll out half the dough into a 15x12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese on dough in a narrow row, 3 inches from and parallel to a long side of the rectangle. Starting from the opposite long side, roll up tightly, jelly-roll style. Moisten edges and seal well; taper ends. Repeat with remaining dough and remaining Parmesan cheese. Place loaves, seam sides down, on prepared baking sheet (cheese should be at top of loaves). Cover and let rise until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Stir together egg white and the 1 tablespoon water. Brush egg white mixture over loaves. Using a sharp knife, make 5 or 6 diagonal cuts, about 1/4 inch deep, across top of each loaf.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the loaves sound hollow when you tap tops (if necessary, cover loaves loosely with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning). For a crispier crust, brush loaves again with egg white mixture after 20 minutes of baking. Transfer loaves to a wire rack; cool completely. Makes 2 loaves (40 servings).
Nutrition Facts (Pepper-Parmesan Bread)
- Per serving:
- 75 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 3 mg chol.,
- 125 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet