Orange-Raisin Brunch Bread
package active dry yeast
tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
cup golden raisins
- In large mixing bowl combine 1-1/2 cups flour and yeast; set aside.
- In medium saucepan heat butter, the 1/4 cup milk, water, sugar, and salt over medium heat until very warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter is almost melted. Add butter mixture, eggs, and orange peel to flour mixture. Beat on low until combined; beat on high 3 minutes. With wooden spoon stir in raisins and as much remaining flour as you can.
- Turn out dough on lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour for moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes). Place in greased bowl; turn to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place 1 hour or until nearly doubled in size.
- Punch down dough; turn onto work surface. Cover; let rest 5 minutes. Equally divide dough in three; roll each to a 26-inch length. Lay side by side 1 inch apart; braid. Pinch each end of braid together. Transfer to large greased baking sheet. Shape in ring and pinch both ends together. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise 40 minutes, dough will rise slightly.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly brush bread ring with milk. Place a foil ball or oven-safe glass measure or jar in center to preserve shape. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven; cool. Place on platter; cut into slices. Serve with apricot jam. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Orange-Raisin Brunch Bread)
- Per serving:
- 343 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 84 mg chol.,
- 252 mg sodium,
- 49 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 13 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet