Beignets are deep-fried fritters, typically sprinkled with powdered sugar. They're great for breakfast, dessert, or snacking.
0 did it
- Yields: 30 beignets
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 1 min
- Stand: 30 mins
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 1-1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and nutmeg. In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, the 2 tablespoons shortening, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and the shortening is almost melted.
- Add milk mixture to the flour mixture. Add the egg. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface. Cover and refrigerate the dough for 4 to 24 hours.
- Turn dough out onto a slightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Roll into a 15x12-inch rectangle; cut into thirty 3x2-inch rectangles. Cover; let rest 20 minutes (dough will not be doubled).
- Heat 3 inches of shortening or oil in a deep saucepan to 375 degrees F. Fry a few dough rectangles at a time in hot fat about 1 minute or until beignets are golden brown on both sides, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a 300 degrees F oven while cooking remaining beignets. If desired, lightly sift powdered sugar over beignets. Serve warm, drizzled with honey. Makes 30 beignets.
Nutrition Facts (Nutmeg Beignets)
- Per serving:
- 111 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 8 mg chol.,
- 46 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet