cup warm milk (100 degree F to 110 degree F)
package active dry yeast
cup plain yogurt
tablespoons purchased ghee* or clarified butter**
teaspoon baking powder
- In a medium bowl combine the milk, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes or until foamy. Add yogurt, ghee, salt, and baking powder. Add flour and stir until mixture forms a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 4 to 5 minutes or until dough is smooth. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until dough is doubled in size.
- Determine how many 6-inch rounds will fit on your baking stone at one time. Place baking stone on the lowest rack in the oven. Preheat oven to 475 degree F. Divide dough into 8 pieces; shape into balls. Cover balls with plastic wrap and let stand for 20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll enough balls of dough to fit onto baking stone into 6-inch circles. Place dough circles on hot baking stone. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes or until brown. Turn circles over. Bake for 1 to 2 minutes more or until brown and slightly puffed. Remove naan from oven and wrap in foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining dough. Serve hot. Makes 8 naan rounds.
From the Test Kitchen
*Ghee is an Indian version of clarified butter which is available in specialty markets.
Melt 1/4 cup butter over very low heat without stirring; cool slightly. Pour off clear top layer; discard milky bottom layer.
Nutrition Facts(Naan Bread)
- Per serving:
- 172 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- 1 mg chol.,
- 359 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet