Upload your photo here.
- In a large mixing bowl place sugar, shortening, and salt. Add warm milk and stir to soften shortening; cool. Beat in eggs. Soften yeast in the warm water; stir into shortening mixture.
- Add 4 cups of the flour. Using a wooden spoon, beat until smooth. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Shape into balls. Turn out onto floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (about 1-1/4 hours).
- Punch dough down.* Grease two 9x5x3-inch or three 8x4x2-inch loaf pans. Divide dough into halves or thirds. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Shape dough into loaves. Place in prepared pans. Let rise in warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 23 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. If necessary, cover with foil the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Immediately remove from pans. Cool on wire racks. Makes 2 or 3 loaves (32 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
For pan rolls:
Prepare as directed to asterisk (*). Shape dough into 36 rolls. Place in 2 greased 13x9x2-inch baking pans. Let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes). Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 36 rolls.
Nutrition Facts (Light Bread)
- Per serving:
- 132 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 14 mg chol.,
- 142 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet