- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm milk (105 degree F to 115 degree F)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105 degree F to 115 degree F)
- 6 1/4 - 6 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1. In a large mixing bowl place sugar, shortening, and salt. Add warm milk and stir to soften shortening; cool. Beat in eggs. Soften yeast in the warm water; stir into shortening mixture.
2. Add 4 cups of the flour. Using a wooden spoon, beat until smooth. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
3. Shape into balls. Turn out onto floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (about 1-1/4 hours).
4. Punch dough down.* Grease two 9x5x3-inch or three 8x4x2-inch loaf pans. Divide dough into halves or thirds. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Shape dough into loaves. Place in prepared pans. Let rise in warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
5. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 23 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. If necessary, cover with foil the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Immediately remove from pans. Cool on wire racks. Makes 2 or 3 loaves (32 servings).
- Prepare as directed to asterisk (*). Shape dough into 36 rolls. Place in 2 greased 13x9x2-inch baking pans. Let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes). Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 36 rolls.
- Servings Per Recipe 32,
- cal. (kcal) 132,
- Fat, total (g) 4,
- chol. (mg) 14,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 21,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 3,
- sodium (mg) 142,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet