- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1 beaten egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 whole green onion
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white part only)
- Fresh chives
- Italian parsley sprigs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, margarine or butter, and salt just until warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees F) and margarine almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with the 2 eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in cheese, snipped chives, and as much of the remaining flour as you can.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape the dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until dough is double in size.
4. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 4 portions. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
5. Shape dough by gently pulling each portion of dough into a 10x4-1/2 rectangle. Place on prepared baking sheets. In a small bowl stir together egg white and water. Brush loaves with egg white mixture. Gently press green onion onto one loaf. Arrange leek slices on a second loaf. Place several whole chives on a third loaf. Top remaining loaf with parsley sprigs. Gently brush onion, chives, leeks, and parsley with olive oil to prevent them from drying out. Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough is nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. (If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 5 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.) Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks. Makes 4 loaves (16 servings).
- Up to 1 month ahead, prepare the bread as directed. Cool completely. Place bread in a freezer container or bag and freeze. Before serving, let thaw at room temperature.
- Servings Per Recipe 16,
- cal. (kcal) 187,
- Fat, total (g) 6,
- chol. (mg) 39,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 26,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 6,
- vit. A (RE) 41,
- vit. C (mg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 177,
- calcium (mg) 71,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet