Leek and Chive Bread
Fresh chives, green onions, leeks, and parsley from your garden add a touch of spring to the top of these yeast loaves.
- Makes: 16 servings
- Yields: 4 loaves
- Prep: 40 mins
- Rise: 1 hr 45 mins 375°F
- Bake: 15 mins
Leek and Chive Bread
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, margarine or butter, and salt just until warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees F) and margarine almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with the 2 eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in cheese, snipped chives, and as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape the dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until dough is double in size.
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 4 portions. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Shape dough by gently pulling each portion of dough into a 10x4-1/2 rectangle. Place on prepared baking sheets. In a small bowl stir together egg white and water. Brush loaves with egg white mixture. Gently press green onion onto one loaf. Arrange leek slices on a second loaf. Place several whole chives on a third loaf. Top remaining loaf with parsley sprigs. Gently brush onion, chives, leeks, and parsley with olive oil to prevent them from drying out. Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough is nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. (If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 5 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.) Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks. Makes 4 loaves (16 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 month ahead, prepare the bread as directed. Cool completely. Place bread in a freezer container or bag and freeze. Before serving, let thaw at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Leek and Chive Bread)
- Per serving:
- 187 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 39 mg chol.,
- 177 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet