cups bread flour
teaspoon active dry yeast or bread machine yeast
slightly beaten egg white
- Add the first 4 ingredients to a bread machine according to the manufacturer's directions. Select the dough cycle.
- When cycle is complete, remove dough. Punch down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 10x8-inch rectangle. Starting from a long side, roll into a spiral; seal edge. Pinch and pull ends to taper.
- Place loaves, seams down, on a greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Combine egg white and 1 tablespoon water; brush some over tops of loaves. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 35 to 45 minutes or until nearly double. Using a sharp knife, make 3 or 4 diagonal cuts about 1/4 inch deep across the top of each loaf.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Brush with remaining egg white mixture. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes more or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts(French Bread)
- Per serving:
- 103 kcal cal.,
- 111 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet