Finnish Cardamom Bread
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover, let rise in a warm place until double in size (1 to 1-1/4 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a 15-inch-long rope. To shape, place the ropes 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet. Loosely braid the ropes of dough, working from the center to each end. Press the ends together to seal and tuck them under the loaf. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap the top with your fingers (if necessary, cover loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning). Immediately remove bread from baking sheet. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 1 loaf (16 servings).
Nutrition Facts (Finnish Cardamom Bread)
- Per serving:
- 181 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 38 mg chol.,
- 128 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet