- In a large mixing bowl combine 1-1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, cardamom, and nutmeg.
- In a saucepan heat the 2/3 cup milk, 1/3 cup sugar, margarine or butter, and salt until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and margarine is almost melted, stirring constantly. Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn out onto a floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (1 to 1-1/4 hours).
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine cranberries, the 1/3 cup sugar, the water, orange peel, and cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat until berries pop. Cook and stir 3 minutes more until very thick. Cover and cool the mixture.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface roll dough into an 18x9-inch rectangle. Spread with cranberry filling. Roll up into a spiral, starting from long side. Seal edge.
- On a greased baking sheet, shape into a ring; pinch to seal ends together. With kitchen shears, make cuts from outer edge almost to the center, making 12 pieces. Gently pull sections apart and twist dough on its side, overlapping slightly. Cover and let rise until nearly double (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, covering with foil the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Cool slightly on a wire rack before glazing.
- For glaze, combine powdered sugar, the 4 teaspoons milk, and extract; drizzle over ring. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Bake the coffee cake and cool it completely. Skip the glaze, then wrap and freeze the coffee cake for up to 2 months. When ready to serve, bake the frozen coffee cake, loosely covered with foil, in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Then, cool slightly and add the glaze. Or, prepare and shape the coffee cake the day before serving, except do not let it rise a second time. Cover and refrigerate the shaped dough overnight. The next morning, let the shaped dough stand at room temperature about 30 minutes. Bake, cool slightly, and add the glaze.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry Ring)
- Per serving:
- 235 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- 24 mg chol.,
- 192 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet