Country Whole Wheat Bread
cups warm water (115 degree F to 120 degree F)
package active dry yeast
tablespoon olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl stir together warm water, yeast, oil, sage, salt, and sugar. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the whole wheat flour, about 1/2 cup at a time. Add 1-1/2 cups of the bread or all-purpose flour, a little at a time, stirring until most of the flour has been absorbed and the dough begins to form a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead in enough of the remaining bread or all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape the dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (45 to 60 minutes).
- Punch dough down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. On a lightly greased baking sheet, shape dough into a 6x3-inch oval loaf. Sprinkle lightly with any remaining flour. Cover and let rise until almost double (30 to 45 minutes).
- Using a sharp knife, slash the top of the loaf several times, making each cut about 1/2 inch deep. Bake in a 425 degree F oven. For a crisp crust, spray or brush with cold water every 3 minutes during the first 9 minutes of baking.
- After 9 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 375 degree F; sprinkle the bread with any remaining all-purpose flour. Bake about 20 minutes more or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. (If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning,) Immediately remove bread from pan. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 1 loaf (12 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Cool, wrap and store baked bread for 2 to 3 days at room temperature. Or freeze up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature for 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts(Country Whole Wheat Bread)
- Per serving:
- 147 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 269 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet