- Add milk, 1/4 cup butter, 2 tablespoons sugar, egg, flour, salt and dry yeast to bread machine according to manufacturer's directions. Select dough cycle.
- When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine. Cover dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough to form a 12-inch square. Brush the dough with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Combine the 3 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon; sprinkle over the butter. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style. Pinch the seams and the ends to seal. Place, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled (about 30 to 45 minutes).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Prepare Powdered Sugar Glaze. Drizzle over bread. Makes 1 loaf.
From the Test Kitchen
To Prepare Without a Bread Machine:
In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour and the yeast. In a saucepan, heat and stir milk, the 1/4 cup butter, the 2 tablespoons sugar and the salt until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and butter almost melts. Add to flour mixture. Then, add egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of 1 to 1-1/2 cups additional flour as you can. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that's smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into a smooth ball.
Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (1 to 1-1/4 hours). Punch dough down. Continue directions as above starting with step 3.
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- In a bowl, stir together powdered sugar and enough milk to make an icing of drizzling consistency.