Wild Rice with Corn and Fresh Basil
This recipe makes enough for a crowd, so consider serving it for company alongside roasted meat. Alternatively, enjoy a larger portion for a vegetarian main-dish meal.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 4 hrs (low) or 2 1/2 hours (high)
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir just until onions are tender.
- Lightly coat a 3- or 3-1/2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add onion mixture, sweet peppers, uncooked rice, frozen corn, and salt; stir in the boiling water.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 hours.
- To serve, stir in pecans and basil.
To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and stirring once or twice.
- Per serving:
- 119 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 101 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet