Wild Rice with Corn and Fresh Basil
teaspoons vegetable oil
cups chopped onions (3 medium)
cloves garlic, minced
Nonstick cooking spray
cups chopped yellow, orange, and/or red sweet peppers (2 large)
cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
cup frozen whole kernel corn
cups boiling water
cup chopped pecans, toasted*
cup snipped fresh basil
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir just until onions are tender.
- Lightly coat a 3- or 3-1/2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add onion mixture, sweet peppers, uncooked rice, frozen corn, and salt; stir in the boiling water.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 hours.
- To serve, stir in pecans and basil.
From the Test Kitchen
To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and stirring once or twice.
Nutrition Facts(Wild Rice with Corn and Fresh Basil)
- Per serving:
- 119 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 101 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet