White Chocolate and Apricot Bread Pudding
- In a small saucepan heat half-and-half over medium heat until very warm but not boiling. Remove from heat; add chopped white baking square and apricots. Stir until white baking squares are melted.
- In a large bowl beat eggs with a fork; whisk in sugar and cardamom. Whisk in chocolate mixture. Gently stir in bread cubes and almonds. Pour mixture into a 4- to 5-cup souffle dish (dish may be very full).** Cover dish tightly with foil.
- Tear off an 18x12-inch piece of heavy foil; cut in half lengthwise. Fold each piece lengthwise into thirds. Crisscross the foil strips and place the dish in the center of the crisscross. Pour the warm water into a 3-1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker. Bringing up the foil strips, lift the ends of the strips to transfer the dish to cooker. Leave foil strips under dish.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 hours.
- Using foil strips, carefully lift dish out of slow cooker and place on a wire rack; discard foil strips.
- To serve, spoon warm pudding into dessert dishes. If desired, top each serving with raspberries and grated white chocolate.
From the Test Kitchen
To make dried bread cubes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Cut bread (about 4 1/2 slices) into 1/2-inch cubes to make 3 cups. Spread cubes in a single layer in a 15 1/2x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until cubes are dry, stirring twice. Cool.
Before beginning this recipe, check to make sure that the dish or casserole you plan to use fits into your slow cooker.
Nutrition Facts (White Chocolate and Apricot Bread Pudding)
- Per serving:
- 345 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 98 mg chol. ,
- 191 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 8 g pro.