White Bean and Roasted Garlic Soup with Escarole
teaspoon olive oil
chopped leeks (2 medium)
cup chopped fennel (1 bulb)
cup chopped onion (1 small)
tablespoons olive oil
cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
15 ounce cans cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
cup half-and-half or light cream
tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 inch slices baguette-style French bread
slices Swiss cheese (about 3 ounces)
cups torn escarole or spinach
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut off the top 1/2 inch of the garlic bulbs to expose ends of individual cloves. Leaving bulbs whole, remove any loose papery outer layers. Place bulbs, cut ends up, on a double thickness of foil. Drizzle bulbs with the 1 teaspoon olive oil. Bring foil edges up around bulbs and fold to enclose. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until garlic feels soft when squeezed. Let cool. Squeeze garlic from skins into a small bowl; mash with a fork.
- In large saucepan cook leeks, fennel, and onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and caramelized, stirring occasionally. Add half of the roasted garlic, the broth, and 1 1/2 cans (2 2/3 cups) of the beans. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Place mixture in a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Return mixture to the saucepan.
- Add remaining beans, half-and-half, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice to pureed mixture in saucepan. Cook over low heat until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Spread toast with the remaining roasted garlic. Place a cheese slice on each toast slice. Broil until cheese melts and begins to brown.
- In a large bowl whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Add escarole; toss to coat.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with baguette toasts and escarole.
Nutrition Facts(White Bean and Roasted Garlic Soup with Escarole)
- Per serving:
- 387 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 28 mg chol.,
- 990 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 16 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet