Wheat Berry Gazpacho Salad
- In a medium bowl combine wheat berries and 3 cups water. Let soak 1 hour; drain. Transfer to a medium saucepan. Add water to cover by 2 inches; place over high heat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until wheat berries are tender and some of the grains are splitting open at the tip. Pour into a fine mesh strainer; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place bread slices on a baking sheet. In a small bowl combine 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. oregano, and 1 tsp. tarragon. Brush olive oil mixture on bread slices. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt. Bake 20 minutes or until bread is crisp. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine chickpeas (if using), tomatoes, grapes, cucumber, sweet pepper, 1/4 cup olive oil, red onion, red wine vinegar, 1 Tbsp. oregano, 2 tsp. tarragon, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Toss to combine. Add wheat berries; toss to mix well.
- To serve, spoon wheat berry mixture over bread slices. Sprinkle with black pepper. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Substitute 2 1/4 cups cooked farro or rye berries for the cooked wheat berries. Omit step 1; begin with step 2.
Nutrition Facts (Wheat Berry Gazpacho Salad)
- Per serving:
- 364 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 10 mg chol.,
- 685 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet