Wheat Berry Gazpacho Salad
cup wheat berries
1/2-inch thick slices whole grain crusty country bread
tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
teaspoon snipped fresh oregano
teaspoon snipped fresh tarragon
ounces Manchego or Parmesan cheese, shaved or grated
15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (optional)
cup chopped fresh tomatoes
cup seedless green grapes, halved
cup sliced or chopped English cucumber
cup seeded and chopped yellow sweet pepper
cup extra-virgin olive oil
tablespoons red wine vinegar
tablespoon snipped fresh oregano
teaspoons snipped fresh tarragon
Cracked black pepper
- In a medium bowl combine wheat berries and 3 cups water. Let soak 1 hour; drain. Transfer to a medium saucepan. Add water to cover by 2 inches; place over high heat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until wheat berries are tender and some of the grains are splitting open at the tip. Pour into a fine mesh strainer; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place bread slices on a baking sheet. In a small bowl combine 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. oregano, and 1 tsp. tarragon. Brush olive oil mixture on bread slices. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt. Bake 20 minutes or until bread is crisp. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine chickpeas (if using), tomatoes, grapes, cucumber, sweet pepper, 1/4 cup olive oil, red onion, red wine vinegar, 1 Tbsp. oregano, 2 tsp. tarragon, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Toss to combine. Add wheat berries; toss to mix well.
- To serve, spoon wheat berry mixture over bread slices. Sprinkle with black pepper. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Substitute 2 1/4 cups cooked farro or rye berries for the cooked wheat berries. Omit step 1; begin with step 2.
Nutrition Facts(Wheat Berry Gazpacho Salad)
- Per serving:
- 364 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 10 mg chol.,
- 685 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet