To turn this drink into a mojito-style cocktail, add 2 cups of white rum to the watermelon mixture. Top with club soda before serving. Work in batches to fill a larger party-size container
- Makes: 8 servings
- Serving Size: 4 oz plus 4 ounces ginger ale
- Prep: 20 mins
- Microwave: 2 mins
- Chill: Up to 8 hrs
- In a blender container place watermelon; puree until smooth. In a small heatproof bowl, use a wooden spoon to mash mint leaves and 1/4 cup of the sugar; add 1/4 cup of the water. Microwave on high until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mint leaves to blender, leaving sugar in bowl. Blend until chopped.
- To bowl of sugar mixture add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. Microwave until sugar dissolves into a syrup, 1 to 2 minutes. Cover and chill.
- To serve, strain watermelon mixture into an ice-filled pitcher or jar. Stir in syrup, lime juice, and bitters. Divide watermelon mixture among ice-filled glasses; top with ginger ale. garnish with mint sprigs.
From the Test Kitchen
Add 2 cups white rum with the mint before chilling for 8 hours. Add club soda or sparkling water in place of ginger ale.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 212 calories, 1 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 19 g total sugar, 11% Vitamin A, 21% Vitamin C, 28 mg sodium, 2% calcium, 4% iron
Nutrition Facts (Watermelon-Mint Coolers)
- Per serving:
- 125 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 12 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 29 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet