- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Chill: 8 hrs
- Slow Cook: 10 hrs to 12 hrs (low) or 5 to 6 hours (high)
- Cut one of the jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise. Thinly slice the remaining jalapeno pepper; wrap and chill sliced pepper until ready to serve.
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. For rub, in a small bowl stir together brown sugar and pepper. Sprinkle rub evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers. Place meat in the cooker. Add halved jalapeno pepper, onion, and garlic. In a small bowl stir together the water, fish sauce, and lime juice. Pour over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and onion from cooker; discard cooking liquid. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Stir onion into shredded meat.
- For each serving, spoon 2/3 cup of the shredded meat mixture onto a tortilla. Top with mesclun mix, cucumber, Pickled Carrots, cilantro, and sliced jalapeno pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
To warm tortillas, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stack tortillas and wrap tightly in foil. Bake about 10 minutes or until heated through.
- In a small nonreactive bowl stir together the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir in carrots. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours. Use a slotted spoon for serving.
Nutrition Facts (Vietnamese Pork)
- Per serving:
- 362 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 85 mg chol.,
- 966 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 37 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet