Winter Squash and Brown Bread Stuffing
cups honey wheat bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes (7 to 9 slices)
16 ounce can brown bread with raisins, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (5 cups)
tablespoons butter or margarine
cups coarsely chopped celery with tops
cups chicken broth
tablespoons snipped fresh Italian parsley
teaspoon ground nutmeg
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Fresh sage sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread wheat bread cubes and brown bread cubes in 2 shallow baking pans. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and drizzle evenly over bread cubes; toss to coat. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring once. Transfer to a very large mixing bowl.
- In a very large skillet melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add squash. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add celery and onion; cover and cook 10 minutes more. Stir in 1/4 cup of the chicken broth. Cover and cook 5 minutes more or until squash is just tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in sage, parsley, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Add squash mixture to bread in bowl. Add 2 cups of the remaining broth; toss lightly to coat. Add enough additional broth to make a stuffing of desired moistness.
- Transfer stuffing mixture to a greased 3-quart casserole. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes more or until stuffing is heated through. Top with fresh sage sprigs, if desired.
- Makes 10 to 12 servings
Nutrition Facts(Winter Squash and Brown Bread Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 261 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 20 mg chol.,
- 823 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 16 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet