Wild Rice Stuffed Squash
- In a heavy medium saucepan bring the chicken broth and thyme to a boil. Add the wild rice. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add the leeks and long grain rice. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes more or until rice is tender. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Drain excess liquid, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, wash squash and cut off the top third including the stem end. With a teaspoon, remove seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Turn cut sides up. Cover pan with foil and bake about 20 minutes more or until tender. Remove from oven. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine rice mixture, dried cranberries or currants, and dried apricots. Stir in melted margarine or butter, salt, and pepper.
- Mound stuffing into squash. Place in a shallow baking pan and bake in a 425 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve atop twig wreaths, if desired. Garnish plate with pansies or other edible flowers and sage leaves, if desired. Makes 6 side-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Wild Rice Stuffed Squash)
- Per serving:
- 262 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 320 mg sodium,
- 50 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet