Whole Wheat Pesto Pizza
cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
cup torn fresh spinach leaves
cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
cup pine nuts or almonds
cloves garlic, quartered
teaspoon salt (optional)
tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
16 ounce loaf frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
of a small yellow or green sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
cup pizza sauce
cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- For the pesto, in a blender container or food processor bowl, combine fresh basil leaves, fresh spinach, Parmesan or Romano cheese, pine nuts or almonds, 2 cloves garlic, quartered; and, if desired, salt. Cover and blend or process with several on-off turns until a paste forms, stopping the machine several times and scraping sides. With machine running slowly, gradually add olive oil or cooking oil and water; blend or process until mixture is the consistency of soft butter. Transfer half of the mixture to a storage container. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Set remaining half (1/4 cup) aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the bread dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pan. Prick generously with a fork. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven.
- In a medium covered saucepan, cook the leek or green onion, squash or zucchini, and sweet pepper in a small amount of boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender; drain well.
- Spread pizza sauce over the crust. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese. Arrange leek mixture, tomatoes, and mushrooms over cheese. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until cheese melts and pizza is heated through. Crumble Pesto over top of hot pizza. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts(Whole Wheat Pesto Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 334 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 17 mg chol.,
- 657 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet