Whole Wheat Pesto Pizza
- For the pesto, in a blender container or food processor bowl, combine fresh basil leaves, fresh spinach, Parmesan or Romano cheese, pine nuts or almonds, 2 cloves garlic, quartered; and, if desired, salt. Cover and blend or process with several on-off turns until a paste forms, stopping the machine several times and scraping sides. With machine running slowly, gradually add olive oil or cooking oil and water; blend or process until mixture is the consistency of soft butter. Transfer half of the mixture to a storage container. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Set remaining half (1/4 cup) aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the bread dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pan. Prick generously with a fork. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven.
- In a medium covered saucepan, cook the leek or green onion, squash or zucchini, and sweet pepper in a small amount of boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender; drain well.
- Spread pizza sauce over the crust. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese. Arrange leek mixture, tomatoes, and mushrooms over cheese. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until cheese melts and pizza is heated through. Crumble Pesto over top of hot pizza. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Whole Wheat Pesto Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 334 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 17 mg chol.,
- 657 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet