- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup torn fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or almonds
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 16 ounce loaf frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 1 leek or green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow summer squash or zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 of a small yellow or green sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1. For the pesto, in a blender container or food processor bowl, combine fresh basil leaves, fresh spinach, Parmesan or Romano cheese, pine nuts or almonds, 2 cloves garlic, quartered; and, if desired, salt. Cover and blend or process with several on-off turns until a paste forms, stopping the machine several times and scraping sides. With machine running slowly, gradually add olive oil or cooking oil and water; blend or process until mixture is the consistency of soft butter. Transfer half of the mixture to a storage container. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Set remaining half (1/4 cup) aside.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll the bread dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pan. Prick generously with a fork. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven.
3. In a medium covered saucepan, cook the leek or green onion, squash or zucchini, and sweet pepper in a small amount of boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender; drain well.
4. Spread pizza sauce over the crust. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese. Arrange leek mixture, tomatoes, and mushrooms over cheese. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until cheese melts and pizza is heated through. Crumble Pesto over top of hot pizza. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 334,
- Fat, total (g) 12,
- chol. (mg) 17,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 42,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 19,
- sodium (mg) 657,
- Vegetables () 3,
- Starch () 2,
- Medium-Fat Meat () 1,
- Fat () 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet