- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 recipe Vegetable Bowls (see below)
- 1/2 cup short-grain rice
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sake or dry sherry (optional)
- 1 recipe Wasabi Sauce (see Recipe Center)
- 1 recipe Honey-Ginger Sauce (see Recipe Center)
- 2 tablespoons toasted white and/or black sesame seed
1. Prepare the Vegetable Bowls (see directions below); set aside. (Vegetables may be prepared, covered, and chilled up to 6 hours.)
2. Wash uncooked rice under cold running water, rubbing grains together with fingers, for 1 minute or until water runs clear. Drain.
3. In a medium saucepan combine rinsed, uncooked rice, the 1 cup cold water, vinegar, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer for 15 minutes. (Rice should be sticky.) Remove from heat; stir in carrot, sugar, and sake or dry sherry, if using. Cover; cool to room temperature. (Mixture may be made ahead and chilled.)
4. Prepare Wasabi Sauce (see Recipe Center) and Honey-Ginger Sauce (see Recipe Center). Use a teaspoon that has been dipped in water to fill Vegetable Bowls with a scant 2 teaspoons of the rice mixture. Place vegetables on a serving platter. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seed and drizzle with Wasabi Sauce or Honey-Ginger Sauce. Serve with remaining sauce. (Serve within 2 hours of filling.) Makes 36 appetizers.
- Mix and match vegetables to create 36 "bowls."
- For cucumber bowls, peel and cut medium cucumbers crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Use a small melon baller or a small spoon to scoop out centers of cucumber pieces to form a cup.
- For cherry tomato bowls, cut a very thin slice from the bottoms of tomatoes so they stand upright, then cut a thin slice from the tops. Use a small melon baller or a small spoon to scoop out centers of tomatoes from the top.
- For romaine lettuce bowls, use the smallest romaine leaves. Rinse leaves in cold water; pat dry. For baby zucchini bowls, cut baby zucchini in half lengthwise. If necessary, trim a thin slice from bottoms of both halves to keep zucchini upright. Use the tip of a vegetable peeler to slightly hollow out centers of zucchini halves to form "boats." Steam and chill zucchini before stuffing, if desired.
- For baby pattypan squash bowls, cut pattypan in half lengthwise or crosswise. Use the tip of a vegetable peeler to hollow out centers of squash. Steam and chill squash before stuffing, if desired. Replace top of squash for stuffing.