Sweet Potato Spoon Bread
tablespoon (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
sweet potatoes (about 1 lb.)
tablespoon fresh thyme
tablespoon light brown sugar
teaspoons coarse sea salt
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
cup finely ground white or yellow cornmeal
teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease a 2-quart souffle or casserole dish with about 1 tablespoon of the butter; set aside.
- Wrap potatoes in foil. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until soft to the touch. Remove from oven; discard foil. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard peels. In a large bowl, mash potatoes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. In a large saucepan, bring milk, thyme, brown sugar, salt, and pepper to a low boil over medium heat. In a slow, steady stream, whisk cornmeal into milk mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes, until mixture is thick and pulls away from bottom of pan. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Add potatoes, egg yolks, remaining 3 tablespoons butter, and baking powder to cornmeal mixture; stir to thoroughly combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Leaving obvious swirls of egg white, gently fold egg whites into the potato-cornmeal mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared dish. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Edges will be firm and the center a bit soft. Remove from oven. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
This recipe can also be made in a 9X13 baking dish, then baked for 30 to 35 minutes, until internal temperature registers 165 degrees F with an instant-read thermometer.
Nutrition Facts(Sweet Potato Spoon Bread)
- Per serving:
- 234 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 127 mg chol.,
- 576 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet